Counts of Ribadavia’s Fortress

  • warning: array_map(): Argument #2 should be an array in /var/www/clients/client0/web6/web/modules/system/system.module on line 1050.
  • warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/clients/client0/web6/web/includes/theme.inc on line 1845.
  • warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/clients/client0/web6/web/includes/theme.inc on line 1845.

Nobody doubts that the Counts of Ribadavia’s Fortress played a decisive role in the Galician History since it represented one of the biggest powers of the medieval time.  Though its origins date from the 9th century, most part of the Castle was built in the second half of the 15th century when the County of Ribadavia was established.

We can admire inside important stone-cut remains from the 9th century, as well as a sepulchre from the 12th century, witnesses of the near San Xés Church’s graveyard. When the last rebuilt was finished, new spaces, secret up to that moment, were discovered showing its internal organization, the different levels of construction that the Fortress had for the defence and pleasure of its inhabitants. We cannot avoid mentioning the remains of the ancient Tower of San Xés, the water tank or pond, the caves and the orchard and garden remains.